View All Cox JobsCox Communications
Cox Communications is searching for a Cox Business Access Engineer I. This role is responsible for engineering and documenting telecommunication transmission systems to deliver voice, video, data, and wireless services across regional and national converged networks. Access Engineers are accountable for projects, including database management, and are focused on the circuit design perspective of services ranging from DS-0 to DWDM. Projects also include native ethernet and IP services delivered over fiber optical and hybrid coaxial lines (HFC). Position is in a high paced environment with numerous challenges involving a wide array of product types and network architectures including legacy SONET and TDM transport.
- Self-assign tasks from various systems and manage productivity within established processes.
- Responsible for maintaining service order queues and completing tasks within SLA (Service Level Agreement)
- Provide engineering assistance to boundary partners as it relates to enhancements of engineering specifications needed and/or adherence to guidelines.
- Perform analysis of and approval for network architectures, requested by boundary partners, within established guidelines.
- Responsible for data accuracy in company supported circuit database for all designs.
- Performs analysis of the network capacity from various systems to ensure engineering specifications are compliant with standards.
- Perform engineering and coordination activities on special projects which typically fall outside of established processes.
- Assist in proactive reporting for capacity needs in hubs/cabinets within the network. Analyzes bandwidth utilization to determine ring upgrades and ring splits.
- Perform self-managed administrative duties such as time reporting and training.
- Be part of a team to develop new process and best practices to improve efficiencies.
- Perform other duties assigned by FE&O Leadership.
- Prepares cost estimates to deliver Ethernet, IP Services and other network services across the Cox network.
- Assists in the development and documentation of any methods of procedure or engineering processes.
- Assist in the evaluation of new services and devices as it relates to the standard processes and engineering records.
- Provide circuit design for varied services such as Ethernet, IP, WIFI and SIP. Includes technical designs of peripheral systems involving multiple telecommunications technologies supporting voice, data, video, and other services.
- Provide circuit design for Legacy TDM services including transport on SONET Networks.
- Provides network planning as it relates to Access Network which includes all access rings (including CO) and customer premise equipment, digital access cross connects systems and all collocation and interconnect facilities.
- Requires working knowledge of transmission, switching, powering, grounding, mechanical, and cabling
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical thinking skills
- Demonstrate abilities to meet timelines and established SLAs.
- Excellent collaborative skills to work effectively with teams throughout organization
- Demonstrated knowledge of various manufacturers telecommunications equipment
- Demonstrated knowledge of backbone and loop architectures and technologies
- 1 or more industry standard intermediate level certification(s): Juniper JNCIA-JUNOS | CompTIA A+ Learn@COX| CompTIA Network + Learn@Cox
- 2+ years of experience in telecommunications or related field (i.e. Engineering, Technical Operations) or academic equivalent training
- 1 year experience developing, maintaining or contributing to detailed network designs and documentation (i.e. Engineering Work Packages, Systems or Network Requirements Specifications, Systems or Network Design Documents, Network or Systems Statements of Work)
Company: Cox Communications
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Norfolk, VA, US
Application Deadline: N/A