View All Ford Motor Company JobsFord Motor Company
The “Autonomous Vehicle Engineer – Sensing” position entails developing, implementing, and testing software and algorithms that collaborate with a variety of hardware sensors. This sensor list includes, but is not limited to, cameras, LIDARs, RADARs, the Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) and Inertial Measurement Units (IMUs). Data from each of these sensing systems must be captured from the hardware and provided to downstream processes such as localization, perception, and decision making. Sensor drivers, sensor calibration, data capture, serialization, storage, communication and transport of data are the key elements of this position. Bridging the gap between the sensor hardware and the software processing is fundamental to the successful operation of an autonomous vehicle.
- Sensor selection and system integration (placement, installation, and operation)
- Simulation studies to optimize sensor location and configuration
- Testing and optimization of existing software interfaces and algorithms
- Code optimization to support migration of prototype algorithms to automotive/embedded systems and/or parallelization via GPU architectures, etc.
- Extensive in-vehicle experimental validation and testing
- Presentation of designs, status, challenges, implementation details, and results during periodic reviews and technical interchange meetings
- Implementation and verification of software drivers to work with a variety of hardware sensor systems.
- Design, implementation, and testing of algorithms and applications for sensor data capture, time-synchronization, sensor configuration, sensor control, signal processing and debugging.
- Quantitative evaluation of sensor performance, including the selection and implementation of sensor performance metrics
- Calibration of sensor models and development of calibration tools
- 5+ years experience developing high-quality C/C++ code for hardware interfaces, data capture and serialization, optimization and debugging.
- Minimum of a M.S. in Robotics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
- 3+ years experience working with at least two of the following sensor systems: cameras, LIDAR, RADAR, GNSS/IMU. This should include implementation of software, installation of hardware, operation, calibration, and maintenance of sensor systems.
Company: Ford Motor Company
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Claycomo, MO, US
Application Deadline: N/A