Website General Motors
An Industrial Mechanical Journeyperson includes ambitious pipefitters, millwrights, toolmakers, and machine repairman. You will work under minimal supervision with a high level of independent judgement and problem solving. You should be flexible enough to take on and tackle multiple job assignments in a shift.
- Operate mobile equipment (e.g. forklifts, vertical lifts, cranes)
- Determine loading requirements to rig equipment and material for lifting
- Set up and operate conventional or computer numerically controlled (CNC) machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes
- Fabricate punches, tools, steel rule tools and t-sets to exact specifications
- Plan sequences of operations for fabricating tools or assemblies using blueprints, sketches, or models
- Determine quality of finished products, ensuring defect-free parts, by verifying dimensions, alignment, and clearances for conformance to specifications using measuring instruments such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers, and dial indicators
- Follow established safety procedures according to OSHA standards and company procedures
- Maintain, dismantle, repair, and replace mechanical and hydraulic components (e. g. bearings, seals, details, carriers, etc.) on industrial machinery such as shafting, motors, generators, air compressors, engines, pumps, cylinders, gears, couplings, linkages, ball screws, high speed CNC spindles, coolant systems and filters, and combustion equipment and valves
- Layout, assemble, fabricate, maintain, and repair piping systems
- Use various hand or power tools for measuring, cutting, threading, grooving, bending, soldering, assembling, joining, and installing pipes, valves, and fittings
- Read and interpret blueprints for the mechanical operation and assembly of conveyor systems, material handling systems, robots, and other automation
- At least 18 years of age
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Must be willing to work flexible shift hours and day, afternoon, or night shifts as well as overtime hours daily, weekend and holidays on those shifts with little notice
- General Motors UAW hourly employment offers a very competitive compensation and benefit package. An annual incentive payout is also available, as qualified.
- Relocation and travel expenses will be the responsibility of the applicant.
- U.S. Department of Labor Completion of Apprenticeship Certificate in Mechanical trade (millwright, pipefitter, toolmaker, machine repair) or six (6) years of documented experience in a Mechanical trade (notarized documentation required)
- Must be able to satisfactorily complete the General Motors hiring process requirements which includecomprehensive assessments, hair drug testing, and a background check
Company: General Motors
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Grand Rapids, MI, US
Application Deadline: N/A