View All Massachusetts General Hospital JobsMassachusetts General Hospital
- Under the direction of the Practice Manager, the Medical Assistant is responsible for assisting physicians and nurses with evaluation, management, and treatment of patients during visits (both office and virtual) and with other patient care tasks consistent with his/her training and skills. His/her primary roles are to assure efficient patient care through office visits and ongoing patient care outside of visits; to maintain safe patient care processes following infection control guidelines, and to promote patient satisfaction by interacting with patients in a professional, friendly manner consistent with their needs both in-person, virtually, and via phone triage.
- On-site and/or Virtual Patient Visit Duties
- Is crossed trained on the front line to assit with patient check in and check out.
- Supports efficient patient flow and processes for both on-site and virtual care.
- Greets patient in waiting room and escorts to exam room for on-site visits.
- Assists with admission process: Checks patient’s identification using (2) patient identifiers – name and DOB, documents chief complaint or symptom(s) in medical record, completes infection control screening and processes according to required procedures.
- Instructs patient how to prepare for the physician, nurse, or other care provider (assisting as necessary) in-person or virtually, including initial medication reconciliation step of documenting current medications.
- Alerts the physician or nurse when the patient is ready and communicates pertinent clinical information.
- Responds to needs to expedite visits and keep on schedule.
- Assists the physician or nurse with patient care during virtual and in-person visits as requested.
- Provides care appropriate to age (pediatric and adult) groups of patients in practice setting and documents data per practice protocols.
- Assists physician with patient procedures, and treatments as directed.
- Collects blood (phlebotomy) specimens during research visits according to research protocols.
- Infection control and Environmental Duties
- Daily assessment of exam room allocation and utilization and maintains neat, clean and safe exam rooms and treatment areas following infection control procedures.
- Adheres and helps implement infection control guidelines including cleaning equipment after patient use per office/infection control protocol.
- Cleans and prepares room for next patient. Anticipates / sets up special equipment and/or supplies needed for the visit and assures exam rooms are properly stocked, equipped, and secured as applicable.
- Assures patient care areas, including waiting area, are neat, clean, and professional-looking.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a busy environment and see them through to completion
- Must have knowledge of infection control such as hand washing, universal protocol, and sanitization of medical equipment.
- Must be HIPPA knowledgeable.
- Ability to collect specimens and perform testing under the direction of a physician or a nurse.
- Good communication skills both verbal and written.
- Technological skills to efficiently use a variety of platforms including EPIC and Cover My Meds.
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Sound judgment and problem-solving ability
- Ability to work well with others, manage conflicts fairly and provide fair and balanced feedback and support.
Qualification & Experience:
- Graduate of an approved Medical Assistant Certification Program required
- Minimum of 1 year of experience as a Medical Assistant in a medical practice setting required
- Basic Life Support Certificate – preferred
Company: Massachusetts General Hospital
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Boston, MA, US
Application Deadline: N/A