View All Massachusetts General Hospital JobsMassachusetts General Hospital
- Working under the supervision of Nurse Manager and/or Medical Director of Operations his/her primary roles are to assist with and facilitate efficient patient flow through the surgical unit, assist surgeon with surgical procedures and performs tasks related to the preparation and maintenance of surgical environment, maintains neat, clean and safe patient care areas and promotes patient satisfaction and comfort in a professional and friendly manner. The RN works with physicians and other staff members to ensure a quality-based, customer-oriented flow of work throughout the ambulatory practice while also serving as a resource person for clinical/clerical support staff.
- The RN is accountable for facilitating excellence in patient care delivery, providing operating efficiencies and insuring compliance with hospital and regulatory policies and practices. Drawing on a broad understanding of clinical and hospital practices and policies, and displaying a high degree of initiative and independent judgment, the RN will continually assess and direct a wide range of clinical and programmatic issues. The role includes participating in the development, implementation, evaluation and revision of procedures to maximize efficiency, safety and productivity.
- Supports and reinforces patient teaching plan, educates patients about proper use of medications. Provides instruction to patients about wound care.
- Triages patient phone calls. Informs patients of laboratory and pathology reports. Uses Epic in Basket to monitor all biopsies and ensures that all necessary therapies are administered as scheduled by the physician.
- Participates in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of nursing care and treatment plans; observes reports and records pertinent patient information into Epic in accordance with Dermatology Service protocols; identifies patient care needs and utilizes nursing resources appropriately.
- Photographs patients with various skin conditions using a variety of photographic procedures, techniques and equipment; obtains patient consent.
- Provides physical care and emotional support to patients and families under the direct supervision of a physician.
- Provides input to the Nurse Coordinator regarding perceived unit needs. Participates in unit and service committees.
- Ensures that the physical environment is maintained. Establishes and enforces fire and safety regulations for the practice, following established protocols, and ensuring compliance with Joint Commission, OSHA, and Hospital guidelines.
- Collaborates with physicians, nurses and other health care professionals and support personnel to determine and evaluate the delivery of outpatient care; address and solve unit care issues.
- Troubleshoots routine/non-routine problems and takes measures to correct/handle issue.
- Provides and maintains a climate in which effective patient focused care is assured throughout the patient’s visit.
- Responsible for excellence in patient focused care delivery including; implementing and evaluating approved policies and procedures necessary for the delivery of such care; evaluating customer satisfaction and recommending and integrating changes as appropriate.
- Administers medications within parameters defined by Dermatology Service after successful orientation; performs nursing procedures within the parameters defined by the Dermatology Service.
- The individual in this position must demonstrate appropriate knowledge of the principals of growth and development over the life span of the patient. In addition, he/she must possess the ability to assess patient data relative to age specific needs and provide care as described in the department’s policies and procedures.
- Participates in developing and implementing new ideas in nursing practice; participates in daily activities conducive to the comfort and safety of patients, visitors and staff.
- Participates in Quality Assurance activities; supports peers and colleagues in maintaining established standards of care.
- Participates in the planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing care and treatment plans; observes reports and records pertinent patient information into Epic in accordance with the Dermatology Service protocols; identifies patient care needs and utilizes nursing resources appropriately
- Appropriately utilizes and conserves equipment and supplies. Orders medical supplies and maintains appropriate inventories.
- Confident in hospital policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of universal precautions.
- Ability to recognize emergency situations and respond appropriately. Knowledge of locations of emergency equipment and procedures.
- Able to read and write English.
- Possess sound judgment
- Demonstrates clinical knowledge of Dermatology
- Attends Dermatology Nurses Association meetings on rotation with other Dermatology RNs and LPNs.
- Participates in relevant continuing education programs.
- Demonstrates leadership potential which includes interpersonal competence and organizational skills.
- Strong planning, time management, organizational skills with an ability to multitask
- Ability to analyze complex situations and implement problem solving skills
- Values diversity, integrity and confidentiality, professional demeanor and ability to represent the Dermatology department.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrate initiative, interest and enthusiasm for change, willingness to take on new challenges, ability to inspire other team members
- Ability to assess medical history of patient, as well as patient concerns, and to determine any limitations/contraindications.
- Ability to delegate and prioritize for self and others
Qualification & Experience:
- Graduated from an accredited Nursing Program required
- Associates in Nursing required, Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing preferred
- 1-2 years of experience as an RN preferred
Company: Massachusetts General Hospital
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Boston, MA, US
Application Deadline: N/A