View All Tesco PLC JobsTesco PLC
- At Tesco, our Data Science team focuses on modelling complex business problems and deploying data products at scale. Our work spans across multiple areas including physical stores, online, supply chain, marketing and Clubcard, where we encourage rotation amongst our Data Scientists so they can gain expertise in different subjects.
- We work on several domains and problem types: online, pricing, security, fulfilment, distribution, property, IoT and computer vision are just some. Our team members spend 10% of their week on learning and personal development. Multiple academic collaborations enrich the team expertise; knowledge-sharing events are regular. Furthermore, we have got a great work-life balance, team days and relaxed but engaging culture.
- This is a hands-on position where you will need to leverage your analytical mindset to find solutions to complex problems. As a Senior Data Scientist, you will need to understand difficult business problems and prototype solutions with minimal support. Apply, modify and design algorithms and mathematical models to solve business problems on top of big data architectures (Hadoop, Spark) is a core component of the role. Our data scientists will need to be able to validate, document and present the modelling process and performances, as well as communicate complex solutions in a clear, understandable way to non-experts. Data Scientists are also responsible for promoting data science across Tesco and promote Tesco across the external Data Science community. Finally, as a Senior Data Scientist, you will be expected to drive innovation and take ownership of aspects of the project development, help the Data Science Manager and the Product Manager manage the relationships with the business stakeholders and mentor/supervise junior members of the team and/or interns.
- We are looking for ambitious individuals with a mix of statistics, programming and machine learning skills. The role requires that you have an extensive background in machine learning and data mining. A track record in modifying and designing advanced algorithms and applying them to large data sets is essential. Some project and stakeholder management experience is preferred.
- An ideal candidate will have a scientific mentality with the ability to ask the right questions, as well as answer them. A strong numerical higher degree in a mathematical, scientific, engineering or computer science discipline is preferable, as well as a solid understanding of mathematics and statistical principles.
- Experience in one or more of the following fields is required: predictive modelling, operational research, deep learning, time series modelling and recommender systems.
- Finally, strong programming skills are essential (Python is preferred) as well as familiarity with SWE best practices (such as version control, unit testing, CI/CD) and big data & cloud technologies (PySpark is preferred).
Company: Tesco PLC
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: London, England, UK
Application Deadline: N/A