Website Honda Motor Company, Inc.
In this role, Senior Styling Modeler you will lead a diverse modeling team in coordinating/performing a full range of clay/digital automotive modeling functions relevant to departmental and organizational needs including product concept, styling and engineering requirements interpretation/implementation, 3-D scale and full-size clay forms and digital models production, design engineering feasibility management, design specification conformance management as well as broad project management. Employs creative visualization, sculpting and Class A quality surfacing skills to produce finished models/package model data that meet design and engineering specifications while maintaining concept/styling intent. Acts as PIC for assigned area of specialty. May act as Project Leader (PL) for assigned projects. May act as Group Leader (GL) and provides operational support to Department Manager as needed. Work assignments are performed within defined latitude for independent judgment, problem solving and decision making as well as defined parameters for accuracy, quality, efficiency and compliance with time schedules and applicable policies, procedures and regulations.
- Manages projects of various size/scope, leading specific tasks within project scope, including complete development/production of assigned models, creating/managing project schedules, leading project meetings/discussions, identifying problems/technical issues, proposing technical approaches for long-term problem resolution and making
substantial contributions to ensure project goals/objectives are met.
- Leads complex model development assignments requiring the creation and evaluation of new/improved modeling techniques/procedures and resulting in new/refined processes, methods and approaches, maintaining required documentation and training staff in these areas.
- May act as GL, supervising assigned staff including planning, prioritizing, reviewing and participating in the daily work of subordinates to ensure that all functions related to the design/development of clay/digital models are provided to the organization efficiently and effectively.
- May act as GL, performing a full range of supervisory responsibilities including defining staff needs, hiring staff, setting staff performance goals, monitoring/evaluating achievement of these goals, creating/executing associate development/training plans to effectively address developmental needs/recommend disciplinary action if needed and managing administrative tasks including reviewing/approving time sheets and time off requests.
- Provides planning/operational assistance to Styling management, including leading strategic group planning activities/initiatives and providing back-up operations support to management/staff as needed.
- Applies thorough knowledge/understanding of design/styling concept implementation, advanced modeling skills/expertise and design engineering requirements management to ensure interpretation of design sketches, drawings and layouts meet engineering requirements/styling intent and three dimensional scale, full-size forms and/or digital models creatively visualize design concepts and incorporate accurate visual proportions, line character, weight, directional quality and total harmony of the design.
- Manages design feasibility and specification conformance throughout clay and/or digital modeling production, determining/prioritizing potential styling concerns that may impact product safety, quality and manufacturability, developing viable design modifications/countermeasures, negotiating strategically with designers concerning styling optimization and monitoring countermeasures to ensure design feasibility improvement and design concept/standards/styling intent as well as consumer demands are met.
- Well developed knowledge/practical application of surface form and theory
- Excellent use of equipment/machinery required to perform job
- Excellent working knowledge of digital modeling software such as Alias
- Demonstrated ability to read and interpret design drawings and concept/styling data
- Demonstrated ability to understand and apply tooling requirements and modifications
- Ability to influence design styling concepts and advance new technologies
- Ability to gain consensus and promote design styling improvements
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of staff/management
- Excellent investigative, analytical, detail-oriented and prioritization skills
- Excellent decision-making, judgment and problem-solving skills
- Excellent project management and process improvement skills
- Excellent negotiation, diplomacy and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Excellent leadership, coaching and mentoring skills
- A Bachelor’s degree in industrial design, transportation design or graphic design or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years of related work experience
- Thorough understanding of how engineering and manufacturing impact styling designs
- Extensive experience creating finished 3-D models using hands-on sculpting or Alias Studio tools
- Extensive experience successfully incorporate engineering criteria into finished clay models or package model data
- Consistently contributes creative styling solutions in a fast-paced environment
- Consistently demonstrates speed, accuracy and form knowledge in clay modeling production
- Excellent skills/techniques in surface development using a wide range of modeling media
Company: Honda Motor Company, Inc.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Columbus, OH, US
Application Deadline: N/A