View All Kaiser Permanente JobsKaiser Permanente
Registers patients to receive medical services in clinic, hospital inpatient, Ambulatory, or Emergency services. Obtains demographic information, validates & verifies insurance, & receives payments, based on established manual or technological protocols, refers patients to Financial Advocates. Answers &/or refers questions received from patients, visitors, staff as appropriate. Performs various related cash handling procedures per SOX control regulations. Staff members in this position may perform all, or a combination of the duties described depending upon their assigned work area & the specific needs of the department.
- Regulatory/Organizational Compliance: Explains & requests patients to sign regulatory forms such as consent & release forms as required.
- Makes copies or scans of patient identification, insurance information & other related forms & documents.
- Fully understands & adheres to the rules & regulations of Medicare, Medicaid, Managed Care & Commercial payers regarding referrals, preauthorization & pre-certification requirements.
- Is knowledgeable & maintains compliance w/ CMS by accurately completing Medicare Secondary Payer screening information.
- Explains basic KPNW Medical Center &/or clinic policies & procedures to patients.
- General Services: Stock appropriate forms & supplies.
- Demonstrates responsibility in handling supplies & equipment in a cost-effective manner & according to standards such as policies, procedures, & infection control guidelines.
- Assist patients by providing phone numbers, facility directions & office layouts.
- Performs all other duties as assigned consistent w/ job description.
- Uses problem-solving skills to verify patient identification through patient name, spouse names, social security number, date of birth & address in order to identify & minimize duplicate medical records.
- Interview patient to obtain/determine payer source, financial & demographic information & obtains appropriate signatures.
- Verifies, identifies, & inputs Other Coverage Information (OCI), primary, secondary, & tertiary payers for services provided.
- Revenue Collection: Determines & collects cost-shares, & partial payments for services to be received.
- Enter/verify payments in the computer, close cash drawers, count currency, checks, & credit card payments at the end of each shift, & create deposits per cash handling policies.
- Maintains billing accuracy & compliance per KPNW & National Revenue Cycle policies.
- Communicate to the patient the Northwest’s policy on payment of services or prepayment when significant patient liabilities are identified.
- Collect past due balances & refers, as appropriate, to financial counselors.
- Registration: Greets & registers patients for various medical care in the clinic setting potentially in a 24 hour, 7 day a week environment & in a highly active fast paced setting such as the Emergency department.
- Excellent organizational skills, flexibility & ability to switch tasks frequently.
- Final candidates will need to complete Contact Center Simulation assessment within minimum competency score of fiftieth (50th) percentile or higher.
- Final candidates will complete approved medical terminology course within six (6) months of date of hire.
- Strong complex problem solving skills & the ability to make decisions independently.
- Two (2) years of health care financial OR two (2) of years cash handling customer service experience in high volume customer service environment.
- Two (2) years of experience keyboarding/typing & navigating multiple computer applications in a Windows environment including data input.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- Excellent verbal & written English communication skills.
Company: Kaiser Permanente
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Portland, OR, US
Application Deadline: N/A