Manages the hotel’s day-to-day Accounting function, assisting the Cluster Director of Finance in providing financial leadership to the business and clear structure and direction to the Finance team. Primary responsibilities include preparation and analysis of the financial reports and reconciliations, internal and external reporting, budgeting/forecasting, audit and control, asset and liability reconciliation, working capital and cash control.
- Assists the Cluster DOF in developing the annual business plan, budgets, forecasts, financial reports, tax compliance, and profit and loss statements.
- Effectively manages the day to day operation of Accounting to execute finance and accounting responsibilities for the property.
- Supports strategies and conducts activities to drive financial results, guest satisfaction, human capital index and market share.
- Conducts annual performance appraisals with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Provides analytical support during budget reviews to identify cost saving and productivity opportunities.
- Advises the Cluster Executive committee on existing and evolving operating/financial issues.
- Creates a working environment that enables the retention of top talent and where individuals perform at their best.
- Demonstrates knowledge of job-relevant issues, products, systems, and processes.
- Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team members.
- Provides assistance to the Cluster DOF in developing the annual business plan, budgets and monthly forecasts.
- Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution, solve problems and make decisions..
- Assists in the hiring of accounting associates, and development and retention of a diverse high caliber workforce to provide strong functional expertise to the property and the discipline.
- Provides meaning or context to the financial results.
- Maintains a strong accounting & operational control environment to safeguard assets improve operations and profitability and manage business risks.
- Produces accurate forecasts that enable operations to react to changes in the business.
- Updates and uses relevant knowledge, keeps up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to job.
- Orients hotel managers to the accounting function and coaches to effectively manage their department’s financial performance.
- Monitors all taxes that apply, ensuring that taxes are current, collected and/or accrued.
- Verifies that all Taxes are current, collected and/or accrued.
- Provides on going analytical support (e.g. monitoring the operating department’s actual and projected sales and profit and coaches management team to ensure financial goals are met and opportunities are identified and addressed).
- Provides direction and assistance to other organizational units regarding accounting and budgeting policies and procedures, and efficient control and utilization.
- Reconciles balance sheet and ensures account balances are current and supported by appropriate documentation in accordance with SOPs.
- Leverages strong functional leadership and communication skills to influence the management team and to lead own team.
- Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish work and the work of the finance team.
- Produces accurate and timely financial reports to support effective decision making.
- Achieves and and exceeds goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Encourages open dialogue between team members.
- Facilitates critique meetings to review results with management team.
- Informs and/or updates the executives, peers and subordinates on relevant information in a timely manner.
- Works through own team and influencing department managers to ensure appropriate controls are in place to manage business risks.
- Evaluates information to determine compliance with standards, using relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
- Verifies that team members are cross-trained to support successful daily operations.
- Processes information; compiles, codes, categories, calculates, tabulates, audits, or verifies information or data.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with associates and ensures associates do the same within the team.
- Sustains a work environment that focuses on fair and equitable treatment and associate satisfaction to enable business success.
- Demonstrates leadership by using interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourages others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Generates and provides accurate and timely results in the form of reports, presentations, etc.
- Analytical/Critical Thinking – The ability to gather and organize information using a logical and systematic process; recognize patterns and relationships in complex data; examine data to identify implications, problems and draw appropriate conclusions; generate alternative solutions to problems; evaluate strengths, weaknesses and consequences of alternative solutions and approaches to solving problems.
- Economics and Accounting – Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, P&L statements, operating budgets, forecasting and scheduling, and the reporting of financial data.
- Writing – Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Numeracy – using mathematics to solve problems, calculations, presentations etc.
- Computer Skills – Strong computer skills, particularly Excel and preferably Opera, PeopleSoft, Micros
- Reading Comprehension – Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Administration and Management – Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources
- Hotel Operational Finance knowledge – previous Asst DOF or smaller hotel Director of Finance
- Management of Financial Resources – Determining how money will be spent to get the work done, and accounting for these expenditures.
- Full/part-qualified accounting qualification or Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year College or University; or three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Hotel accounting experience is essential, operational experience is also preferred but not essential.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Twickenham, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A