Nationwide Trial Division (NTD) is a national team with approximately 40 offices through six regions across the United States. Our Senior Paralegals have experience in a law firm setting, require moderate to low guidance and oversight, have a working knowledge of property and casualty insurance defense and/or subrogation law, as well as extensive knowledge in legal concepts, terminology and processes. As a Senior Paralegal, you’ll provide pre-trial and trial support to a team of legal professionals representing clients under both commercial and personal lines insurance policies. You’ll support legal teams with a highly productive case volume that reflects our collective commitment to innovative thinking, effective collaboration, embracing technology, and a highly organized approach to case management.
- Has in-depth knowledge of each file assigned to trial team(s) and is capable of understanding the relevancy of case information as it pertains to assisting in the preparation for depositions, hearings, pre-trial conferences and trial.
- Provides administrative support to trial team(s) including the retrieval of information from our document management system, and the assembly of exhibits, binders, and appendices for depositions, court filings, hearings, and trial. Maintains working knowledge of court procedures. Reviews court dockets and retrieves case information. Prepares case file and discovery impact reports.
- Brings a well-developed sense of organization to coordinate workflow, support the overall litigation strategy. May assist Managing Attorney with the coordination of workflow of support staff. May assist Managing Attorney mentor or train new and less experienced Paralegals and Legal Assistants.
- Provides direct pre-trial and trial support for litigated matters of moderate to high complexity. Assists in the preparation, review, filing, and service of pleadings, motions, discovery, and subpoenas. Reviews and prepares documents for document production requests. Analyzes and responds to incoming discovery. Reviews and analyzes medical records. Conducts legal research and writing assignments, which may include the preparation of medical chronologies, deposition summaries of fact and expert witnesses. Takes initiative to move case files to trial/resolution. Works autonomously, with low supervision.
- Understands and maintains confidentiality in respect to the attorney-client privilege/relationship, trial strategies, ethics rules, the identities of the plaintiff, defense clients and claims’ customers.
- Coordinates and schedules depositions, hearings, and meetings, and communicates with clients and expert witnesses.
- Has general knowledge of law office operations, practices and procedures.
- Experience in filing and scheduling procedures of the various courts, as well as how to use federal and state e-filing and e-Court systems.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, case management databases, such as Legal Files is preferred.
- Understanding of insurance practice civil defense in state courts and agencies and understanding of both personal and commercial lines policies is preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for interaction with attorneys, paralegals, court personnel, clients and claims’ staff.
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented, focused, technologically savvy, adaptable to learning new systems and processes, and can prioritize and multitask.
- Exercises independent initiative and judgment in daily tasks.
- Ability to design and maintain filing and follow-up systems.
- Ability to acquire skills and/or knowledge necessary to research information and determine the applicability of legal action.
- Must also acknowledge and comply with all corporate and NTD policies and procedures.
- Complies with the private practice of law policy and the ethical rules of the state where the position is located.
- Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
- Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager’s leader and Human Resources Business Partner.
- Certification in paralegal studies strongly preferred; or developed paralegal experience.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Sacramento, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A