Under minimal supervision, repair, maintain, test, proof or adjust as needed all fiber optic cables and related equipment for large residential and enterprise projects in coordination with the Construction Team. Ensure maximum quality and peak performance and reliability of all fiber optic equipment. Respond to fiber damage events, perform splicing repairs of fiber optic cables and report all information concerning damages. Perform fiber splicing on large HFC optical builds for residential locations and large fiber builds for enterprise locations.
- Perform and/or coordinate with other functions including Field Operations and Maintenance all testing of fiber network.
- Complete and report all splicing and testing documentation to the local design team.
- Operate highly specialized test and fiber optic splicing equipment.
- Build in the appropriate location all mandatory tracking documents for fibers/circuits and activate new nodes as required by new build construction or through segmentation work.
- Provide onsite repair, installation, and servicing of optic hardware up to fiber optic patch panel with the ability to identify and resolves performance problems onsite.
- Perform large fiber splicing projects, including ribbon fiber burns as required for cell tower and carrier hotel splicing, testing, and activating.
- Complete certification testing of fiber optic links.
- Perform investigation and repair of cut fiber optic cables and fiber related equipment, reporting all information concerning damages to supervisor.
- Perform Commercial fiber customer activations and maintenance, including field and customer premise work up to fiber optic patch panel.
- Conduct DWDM/CWDM spectrum analysis and testing.
- Perform corrective actions to repair any problems affecting fiber or fiber related equipment from the Headend/Hubs to each node and or fiber customer.
- Communicate with Project Manager, Construction Coordinator, or designated supervisor regarding concerns about construction progress.
- Maintain and document fiber splicing and splitter configurations.
- Measure and record performance characteristics of outside plant with electronic equipment, such as OTDR, Fusion Splicers, and related equipment.
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Splice and test connectivity for enterprise customers and optical verification and system data center and interconnects.
- Ability to accurately measure distances, using tapes or other measuring devices
- Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, and suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner
- Industry and vendor specific certifications and training (NCTI, SCTE, and BCT/E) preferred
- Ability to use the following hand tools: electric drills, hammers, wrenches, screwdrivers
- High School Diploma or equivalent work experience
- Ability to safely use weight-bearing equipment (such as gaffs, safety harness and ladders) within the maximum weight limitations of that equipment
- Fiber Tech I or equivalent work experience 1+
- Ability to differentiate between different sizes and colors of wires
- Ability to walk over all types of terrain in all kinds of weather while carrying tools and equipment, including gaffs, ladders, and fully loaded tool belts
- Associate’s degree in electronics or related field preferred
- Ability to carry, climb and operate extension ladder (approx. 32 ft. high and 90 pounds)
- Certifications and/or Licenses
- Valid driver’s license with satisfactory driving record within company required standards
- Ability to climb poles using gaffs, hooks and climbing belt as needed
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Asheville, NC, US
Application Deadline: N/A