Toyota’s Information Technology Lab is looking for a passionate and highly motivated Principal Engineer/Researcher for conducting research in data platforms & related software and systems for next-gen mobility service platform.
The primary responsibility of this role is to research new and emerging data technologies and to develop new data platform capabilities for mobility and connected technologies. The person in this role will participate in the R&D activities to build and advance software defined data infrastructure.
Reporting to the General Manager & Director, the person in this role will support the Infrastructure and Data Platform Department’s objective to develop next generation data platform capable of handling millions of vehicles and provide MaaS (Mobility as a Service).
- Define research goals & tasks for data platform technology.
- Develops and researches emerging new technologies that could enhance performance and lower costs including but not limited to databases, data access, data security, data encryption, data management, etc..
- Mentoring and training junior researchers in group/department wide.
- Technology transfer ITL research to advanced development or valuable business contribution to the company.
- Obtain patents and publish research in prestigious journals and conferences.
- Regularly champion research and present/influence to VP and GVP level and show technology domain expertise.
- Conduct PoC and benchmarks to compare performance, costs and other criteria.
- Establish research collaborations with leading experts in universities and industry consortiums.
- Define own research tasks to advance the state-of-the-art data architecture and platform for 2025 data platforms and beyond.
- Outreach to open-source community, monitor technology trends, and propose new data infrastructure solutions for mobility.
- Hands-on prototyping and programming knowledge (e.g. Python, SQL/NoSQL, Kafka, Spark, etc.)
- Hands on working experience with cloud services
- Corporate lab setting with a proven track record of cross functional collaboration and achievements experience
- Key components of IoT, edge, distributed cloud architecture with emphasis on connected systems
- Experience with building cloud/edge framework with on-device and off-device compute for IoT
- Experience with advanced data platform, distributed cloud systems & architecture including data management, data ingestion, data analytics, data processing, data observability for infrastructure, data normalization, clustering, logs, tools, monitoring, etc..
- Experience of proof-of-concept (PoC) prototyping for connected cars and IoT systems
- Experience with prototyping and cloud bulk data injestion techniques (e.g., AWS, Spark, Kaftka)
- PoC and Benchmarking experience in data and/or infrastructure
- Cloud Architect Certification preferred with experience with cloud environment like AWS, GCP, Azure
- PhD in Computer Science, Math, Statistics or related field
- Research experience with data infrastructure, platform development, IoT, etc
- Experience in developing architectures for data services
- PhD in Engineering (e.g., Computer Science, Mechanical, Electrical, etc.) or related field
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Mountain View, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A